morrie|听书-Tuesdays With Morrie(11)

The Classroom (11)
教室
The sun beamed in through the dining room window, lighting up the hardwood foor.
阳光透过餐厅窗户照进来 , 照亮了硬木地板 。
We had been talking there for nearly two hours.
我们已经在餐厅里聊了将近2小时 。
The phone rang yet again and Morrie asked his helper, Connie, to get it.
电话再一次响起 , 莫瑞让他的助手康妮去接电话 。
She had been jotting the callers' names in Morrie's small black appointment book.
她把电话来访者的名字快速简略的记在莫瑞小小的黑色会见簿上 。
Friends. Meditation teachers. A discussion group. Someone who wanted to photograph him for a magazine.
打来电话的是各种朋友们 。 冥想老师们 。 讨论小组 。 以及一些想要给他拍杂志照片的人们 。
It was clear I was not the only one interested in visiting my old professor—the "Nightline" appearance had made him something of a celebrity—but I was impressed with, perhaps even a bit envious of, all the friends that Morrie seemed to have.
很明显我不是唯一有兴趣来拜访莫瑞的人——在“晚间专线”上的亮相让他多少成了名人——但最让我敬佩的 , 甚至有点嫉妒的 , 是莫瑞看起来拥有的那些朋友们 。
I thought about the"buddies" that circled my orbit back in college.
我想起了大学时总是围绕在我周围的“弟兄”们 。
Where had they gone?
他们又在哪儿呢?
“You know, Mitch, now that I'm dying, I've become much more interesting to people.”
“你懂的 , 米契 , 因为我快死了 , 所以对于人们来说我就开始变得越发有意思了 。 ”
You were always interesting.
你一直都是很有趣的 。
“Ho.”Morrie smiled. “You're kind.”
“哦 。 ”莫瑞微笑起来 。 “你真善良 。 ”
No, I'm not, I thought.
不 , 我并不善良 , 我心里想着 。
“Here's the thing,” he said. “People see me as a bridge. I'm not as alive as I used to be, but I'm not yet dead. I'm sort of . . . in-between."
“我想事情是这样的 , ”他说 。 “人们把我当作一个桥梁 。 我既不像以前那样是活生生的 , 但我也还没有死去 。 我类似于是 。。。 居于生死之间 。 ”
He coughed, then regained his smile.
他咳嗽起来 , 然后脸上又重回微笑 。
“I'm on the last great journey here—and people want me to tell them what to pack.”
“我正走在人生最后的伟大旅程之中——所以人们希望我能告诉他们该在路上打包点什么东西 。 ”
The phone rang again.
电话又响了 。
“Morrie, can you talk?” Connie asked.
“莫瑞 , 你方便接电话吗?”康妮问道 。
“I'm visiting with my old pal now,” he announced. “Let them call back.”
“我正在和我的老伙计会面呢 , ”他如此宣称 。 “让他们一会儿回电话吧 。 ”
I cannot tell you why he received me so warmly.
我没法告诉你为什么莫瑞如此亲切的接待我 。
I was hardly the promising student who had left him sixteen years earlier.
十六年前离开他的学生中 , 我根本算不上多么有前途 。
Had it not been for “Nightline,” Morrie might have died without ever seeing me again.
如果不是”晚间专线“这档节目 , 莫瑞可能至死也不会再见到我 。
I had no good excuse for this, except the one that everyone these days seems to have.
对此我找不出任何借口推脱 , 除了那个这些年人人似乎都有的一个说辞 。
l had become too wrapped up in the siren song of my own life.
我变得太过于沉浸在我自身生活的种种诱惑之中了 。
I was busy.
我太忙了 。
What happened to me?
到底发生了什么?

经验总结扩展阅读